netinst.iso poor experience

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Wed Jan 30 05:33:45 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 05:17 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I tried an install of f18 on a new bare metal machine today.  My 1st try was
> netinst.iso.
>
> It sat 'installing' for well over an hour, giving _no feedback at all_ as to
> what it was doing.  I can only guess it was d/l stuff from an overloaded mirror.
>
> I checked periodically, and saw anaconda was using some cpu (5%), so it wasn't
> just stuck, and there seemed to be network activity.

I had a similar experience.  I thought it was hung until I managed to
figure out that it was actually transferring data.  It wasn't even to
the point of downloading packages.  Fortunately, I was able to block the
server it was downloading from so it went to a different mirror.

Of course, the difficulty here is how to determine that the slowness is
caused by the server and not the network.  It would at least be good to
indicate somewhere on the interface that it is downloading something and
what progress is being made.  Even better would be a button to tell it
to try a different mirror.