[Fedora-spins] Proposal: Spins process amendment for Fedora 20 cycle

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jul 6 17:01:59 UTC 2013

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 20:44:32 +0000
"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/05/2013 05:03 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I'd like to propose some changes to the spins process for F20.
> > I'm sending this just to the spins and test lists first, to try and
> > hash out things, then we can move on to running it the devel list
> > once we have more concrete plans.
>
> You should rather be reaching out to the sub community surrounding
> those spins.

The maintainers of the spins should be subscribed to the spins list
where I sent this. If they have 'sub communities' they should feel free
to pass along to them or ask them to chime in.

> ???
>
> You do realize at alpha we have the most fluctuation of the
> installer, the base OS stack including X right so you cannot require
> spins to pass any tests that might be affected by it right?

I would expect them to pass any tests that release blocking spins
pass... why not?

> > At Beta:
> >
> > * All Alpha tests, and
> ??
> > * The image meets it's size goal. <-- This makes resonable alpha
> > goal we really should not be dealing with size issue after alpha
> > not limited to spins...

Feel free to propose moving that.

> > * The image boots with all supported live media boot methods.
>
> There is no such thing as support so please stop labelling things as
> such seriously.

I was just copying from the wiki:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Beta_Release_Criteria#Initialization_requirements
"All release-blocking images must boot in their supported
configurations."

> Any of the available boot method should suffice here.
>

> > At Final:
> >
> > * All Beta test and
>
> Which beta test would that be?

The ones above in "At Beta"

> > * No selinux denials on boot/login
>
> Makes sense
>
> > At the Alpha milestone, all approved spins will be created by
> > rel-eng.
> >
> > Each approved spin MUST have at least 2 people fill in the Basic
> > spin test matrix for at least 1 TC or RC. If the image fails,
> > maintainers can try again at the next milestone, but the image is
> > NOT shipped for that milestone. if an image doesn't get 2 people
> > filling in Basic spin tests, the image is dropped for that cycle
> > and IS NOT SHIPPED FOR THAT RELEASE! Such images can be reapproved
> > by the spins sig for the next cycle.
>
> ???
>
> It should be sufficient for a single individual to go through all
> related tests for a spin.

ok. So far sounding like folks want just one ack.

Anyone feel strongly it should be more?

> People creating spins should be allowed to create sub community
> surrounding their spins and will not be able to do that with those
> insane requirements.

If they have a "sub community" shouldn't that mean there's at least
one other person in it that could test?

> Bear in mind that anything you decide here should be applicable to
> the Gnome live spin as well.

The KDE and Desktop (Gnome) spins are not included here, as they are
release blocking, so they already have their own critera.

kevin