user list

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Jul 7 13:33:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 06, 2013 at 07:21:52PM -0700, Richard Vickery wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM, David <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/6/2013 9:02 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> >> ... found that the nice list
> >> of users to get into the system has been replaced by a bar.
> >
> > Funny. Others have been bit*hing about the list for several release
> > cycles.  :-)

If you really want that list then an alternative lightdm allows you
to configure that aspect with 'greeter-hide-users' which can be set to
true or false in a configuration file. At least it used to and I did not
check if the latest incarnation did not follow
"I-know-better-what-is-good-for-you" trend and did not remove that
option.  Only that such lists become quickly unwieldy if you have more
than a small few accounts on a machine and it is a very bad security
practice to display to any passerby what are valid logins on a given
machine.

Another gross anti-security misfeature is to have your name permanently
stuck on a bar of a Gnome desktop for any shoulder surfer to see when
you happen to be using your laptop in a public place.

   Michal