user list

Karel Volný kvolny at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 10:57:56 UTC 2013

Dne neděle, 7. července 2013 15:33:55 CEST, Michal Jaegermann  napsal(a):
> than a small few accounts on a machine and it is a very bad security
> practice to display to any passerby what are valid logins on a given
> machine.
>
> Another gross anti-security misfeature is to have your name permanently
> stuck on a bar of a Gnome desktop for any shoulder surfer to see when
> you happen to be using your laptop in a public place.

security by obscurity?

oh come on ...

I bet I can guess at least one valid user at your system ... is that "root"? :-)

do you have some stats, could you prove me wrong if I dare to estimate there is less than 1% of user accounts on personal machines which do not fall into one of those categories:
- first or last name
- initials
- username (nickname) used on irc/IM/in email ...
- real life nickname (or how the person in question wishes to be called)
- predictable username constructed according to some company policy
?

K.

--
Karel Volný