user list

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 10 00:02:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-09 16:12, Richard Vickery wrote:
> On Jul 9, 2013 1:23 PM, "Michael Knepher" <mknepher at bluethingy.com>
> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>  >>
>  >> Dne úterý, 9. července 2013 16:24:11 CEST, Michal Jaegermann
>  napsal(a):
>  >>
>  >>> OTOH I really dislike to advertise too wide who is just sitting
> by a
>  >>> keyboard.  If you want to call that paranoiac then so be it but
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> I don't argue about the configurability, if you prefer to have it
> hidden, let's allow to hide it
>  >
>  >
>  >>
>  >> I'm just wondering what exact security benefit it adds
>  >
>  >
>  > If you're referring to the ability to remove the user name from the
> gnome-shell top bar, it's probably better described as a "privacy"
> feature (which is what the setting is under in gnome-3.8). Any benefit
> would primarily be subjective to each individual user.
>  >
>  > Michael Knepher
>  >
>  > --
>  > test mailing list
>  > test at lists.fedoraproject.org
>  > To unsubscribe:
>
> What is the command to add / subtract the users list? This lets the
> end user decide her / his / their preferences.

You need to flip the dconf key apps/gdm/simple-greeter/disable_user_list
in a way that gdm will recognize. I don't know if there's an Official
Way to do that, perhaps Matthias or Ray could advise.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1659325 has a rather
hacky way which may work but which I wouldn't entirely advise...