systemd depends so heavily on a files it can not reboot

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jul 10 03:13:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-07-08 at 18:02 +0200, Adam Pribyl wrote:

> OK, so the systemd people say, it is perfecly fine you can not reboot via
> ctrl-alt-del (while it was always possible with init) and give me the
> advice to enable sysrq for the purpose, and sysrq people say, it's not for
> users, we will not enable it, it is dangerous.
>
> Now I have a server, what should I do there? Use debian, right.

Pondered this thread before saying anything.  I'm still trying to decide
if systemd is an overall improvement or a regression myself.  But no,
this case isn't a reason to use Debian.   The default in Fedora is the
only sane one because it is the safe choice.  If you want sysrq and
understand the implications you can enable it if, and only if, it makes
sense in your situation.  That is better than expecting every user
installing a system they won't have absolute physical control over to
know about and remember to disable it.

And I was going to agree that systemd makes a system a lot less reliable
in the face of serious problems since it needs a lot more files to be
intact for it to get to runlevel S, especially in a situation where you
don't have the physical presence to insert rescue media.   But then I
remembered that if things have really went wrong you could boot with
init=/usr/bin/bash.  And if you are in a remote colo situation it is
probably prudent anyway to ensure rescue media is always in a
non-default boot location so you can regain control.