user list

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jul 10 06:40:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 20:34 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> This email was not helpful nor being excellent to each other. It also shows
> a biased view that shows that the user didn't even try the version that
> shipped in at least alpha onward which does not use gestures but just a
> space or return. Next time try to actually be useful.

Agreed.  But then GNOME itself isn't too helpful and excellent hasn't
been a word applicable to it for a couple of years now.  Ya know we
wouldn't get ticked off at this stuff if we didn't care about it, and it
bothers us that stuff that was good and useful for years is now unusable
rubbish and it was (intentionally?) made impractical to even keep the
old stuff that worked.  The whole bit with Cortez burning his ships
might have worked out for him in the history books, but I bet his men
didn't like it much at the time.  Good grief, now I can't just ditch
GNOME and move on, I'm going to gave to replace gdm as well.

But no, not an earlier copy of Fedora.  I installed the F19 release in a
VM and banged away on the keyboard to no visible effect once it timed
out and went to the tablet/phone style lock screen with the clock on it.
Only the mouse would get a reaction from it.  Just retried it to avoid
doubling down on stupid.  :)  Fired up the VM and worked through more
email until the lock screen appeared.  Typed a character and the blanker
did clear but my account name remained on the screen and that was as far
as I could get without the mouse.

Admitted that there are enough display/input bugs on F19 in a KVM
(hosted on F18) that one could be biting me on this, but this doesn't
look like a virtualization problem.  Until the username is pointed to it
doesn't light up and if it isn't lit it doesn't receive keyboard input.