Rawhide - Calibre

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 15:46:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 09:03:05AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Are you using the rpm or the download from Calibre's site?  Note that they
> do recommend one does not use a distro's version.

Did they fix the serious security problems in the upstream-provided
packages? They used to install some exploitable helper program suid
root. The Fedora package (and most other distros') stripped that binary
and made Calibre use a more secure mechanism.

The original bug[1] seems to have the status "Fix Released" but after
reading the discussion on the bug I'd really avoid installing their
packages.

If the Fedora package doesn't work for you let's make it work.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/885027
or LWN coverage at https://lwn.net/Articles/465311/