What does one do about a package maintainer with an attitude problem?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Jul 23 21:41:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013, Jonathan Kamens wrote:

> On 07/23/2013 04:00 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>  Are all the bugs under discussion ABRT bugs?
> All of the bugs which prompted me to start this thread on the test list fall
> into one of two categories: reproducible bugs where reproduction steps were
> provided, and ABRT bugs.
>
> There are no bugs in the set which are neither reproducible nor generated by
> ABRT.
>
> Having said that, I agree with John Morris
> <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-July/117110.html> that
> just because neither came from ABRT nor has reproduction steps included is
> not /ipso facto/ justification for the maintainer closing the bug with
> INSUFFICIENT_DATA without making any effort to obtain the additional data
> necessary to further pursue the bug. Furthermore, as I pointed out earlier
> in this thread, the bug status workflow document
> <https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2013-July/117095.html>
> agrees with me and John as well.

I'm not suggesting that either you or the
maintainer behaved correctly or otherwise.

I am suggesting that there might be one
more bit of objective data available.

If the steps to reproduce (children leave the room) are there now,
you might re-open the bug and put in a "comment" asking
others (plural) to reproduce the bug and report.
If you get a report of successful reproduction,
that would be objective evidence that the
maintainer has the informaion he needs.

"25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the gate,
saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?
26 And the Angel said, I had it here a moment ago,
must have put it down somewhere, forget my own head next.
27 And the Lord did not ask again.”   -—  Genesis, 3:25-27