I'm seeing odd udev stuff in F20

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Jul 28 12:16:01 UTC 2013

I've been having sound issues for over a week. The sound devices are not
visible to pulseaudio. At first they would be for a while and disappear,
not I can't seem to get pulseaudio to see them ever. (I have have a
motherboard sound chip and a USB headset.) I am also having an issue
with the loopback module not being loaded by default. This breaks
mounting iso images and the error message doesn't make one want to
run modprobe loop (until after using google).

I don't know if this is a kernel issue, udev, pulseaudio or something
else. I don't use the sound often enough to know immediately when it
breaks, so I don't have a good idea which updates break things.

Something that may or may not be related is that kdm doesn't start up
properly. I have to manually restart it after booting to get a gpaphical
display. kdm has been acting up for a similar time span, so maybe there
is some correlation. Once kdm is working it stays work until the next
boot, so again I am not sure which update broke things. It may be a kde
issue (since there have been kde updates), or it may be that something
kdm expects isn't there early in the boot process.