cups

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Jul 29 16:59:10 UTC 2013

On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:20 AM, richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com wrote:

> I thought CUPS was developed by the open source community; I was just setting up the printer and impressed that the program called up the commands itself, and thought one of us was responsible for making it so easy, even if at a lesser extent.

It was and still is developed by the open source community. Apple bought EasySoft six years ago, and thus took over maintaining it, although Mike Sweet has been the person behind it all along and to the present day.

Most of the CUPS filters have been split out of CUPS into the cups-filters package maintained by the Linux Foundation, as Apple is moving to IPP Everywhere for driverless printing.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/cups-filters

Chris Murphy