Draft bootloader selection test cases

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Jul 31 08:08:01 UTC 2013

> I drafted up a couple of test cases to verify this currently un-verified
> criterion:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_20_Final_Release_Criteria#Bootloader_disk_selection
>
> They are:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_anaconda_bootloader_target

" Manual verification with dd, efibootmgr etc. should confirm installation of the bootloader code to the selected disk "

Not that many people will know what this means. Can you add sample commands how to do this? How do I tell that bootloader is present using dd?

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_anaconda_no_bootloader

" Boot the system from another bootloader (if you used a test system with a working bootloader configuration) or a live image and verify using dd, ls, efibootmgr etc. that the installer did not install a bootloader "

The same comment as above, and more. This is actually even harder. If we want to compare the first xxx KB of the disk, we need to make a dd copy in advance, before the installation. So that should be mentioned in the test case, otherwise people find out too late.

"Boot the system from another bootloader" means that I should try to boot the newly installed system from a bootloader placed on a different disk (in this case, configuring all the correct parameters is really hard and just a few people will be able to do it without instructions), or that I should boot a completely different OS (already present) and use dd for verification that boot area wasn't touched. In the latter case we will verify that the bootloader area wasn't touched, but we won't verify that the newly installed system boots. Which is... suboptimal. The same goes for LiveCD verification.