Fedora 19 beta rc4 suspend issue

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 15:53:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 11:47 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

> > I don't know offhand what I have set in the BIOS, but I nuked the
> > pre-loaded Ubuntu install and did a fresh F19 install. A BIOS install,
> > because there was some kind of annoying roadblock when I tried to do a
> > UEFI install, I forget what, and I didn't want to bother fiddling with
> > it.
> >

> Maybe you tried installing it from USB? I fought with that for a while
> until I found that you have to add the UEFI boot entry for the USB
> device in a very peculiar way to get that going. After that I could
> install in UEFI mode (see the last comment at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/dell-sputnik/+bug/1167617 ).

No, I worked that one out pretty fast. It was something else. Oh, I
think I wanted to keep the Ubuntu recovery partition in case I ever
needed it for any reason, and since it's on the SSD and the SSD has an
ms-dos disk label, I couldn't do a UEFI install without reformatting it
to gpt and hence losing the recovery partition. Yeah, that was it.

> With the suspend Problem my money is actually on the Smart Connect BIOS
> option since this technology specifically "wakes the system periodically
> and re-establishes network connectivity. This enables your applications
> that receive data from the Internet—such as your e-mail and social
> network sites—to quickly sync with the cloud service and update your
> system. After the content is updated, the system automatically
> transitions back to sleep mode."
>
> My theory is that this needs cooperation from the OS especially for the
> explain why the system comes back to life by itself.

It seems a reasonable theory.