F19 Final criteria revamp

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jun 11 02:59:25 UTC 2013

On Jun 10, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Resize and refitting another OS along with already installed one on the same hardware ( disks ) is not something I see as we should or could be "officially" supporting hence we should not be blocking our release for that.

Certainly installing to free space should be uncontroversial. I don't care to understand the idea that user choice should only apply to FOSS. You either believe in user choice or you don't, it is a fairly binary position regardless of the software's license. The installer supports it, and considering the damage that could be done is in the category of data loss, yes it needs to have a suitable release blocking criterion.

> Windows or Apple or some other OS changes it partition filesystem etc. and we need to delay our release until we have played catchup to those changes.

Please, Microsoft and Apple have file systems from the Pleistocene. And it's already the case that HFS+ isn't resized by anaconda (or any linux tools at all insofar as I'm aware). If the file system changes, it'll indicate a version change in a way identifiable to the installer's support utilities, or it won't be an identifiable system at all. In either case the installer should refuse to resize.

Chris Murphy