Anaconda grub install options?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jun 11 23:48:02 UTC 2013

On Jun 11, 2013, at 5:25 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:53:36 -0400
> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> The easier way to do this is to use one instance of GRUB 2 in the MBR gap, and then use configfile to load the grub.cfg for each distribution. Each distribution updates its respective grub.cfg when there are kernel updates, while static "master" grub.cfg uses configfile to forward to those distribution specific grub.cfg files.
>
> The configfile directive works only if all the modules and wot-not are identical
> in the different versions of grub.

Current versions of GRUB should read past versions of GRUB2 going back to 1.97 using configfile. And it can read GRUB legacy (0.97) grub.conf files using legacy_configfile.

> As the closest thing to "chainload" that is
> actually officially supported by grub2, I prefer to use "multiboot". It seems
> less likely to become incompatible when (not if :-) changes are made in new
> versions of grub2.

If the distribution with the newest version of GRUB has grub2-install run, such that the grub core.img and *.mod files it loads are also current, you shouldn't have an issue using just that copy of grub and loading the various grub.cfg or grub.conf files. If you do, it's a bug and should be fixed rather than coming up with Rube Goldberg methods of booting the computer.

Chris Murphy