F19 Final criteria revamp

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jun 12 02:38:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 19:17 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 12:37 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Installing to a freespace should be uncontroversial indeed it's the
> > resize I was referring to and as afaik when you buy a set of hardware
> > with windows installed it does not come with "freespace" available
> > and we should only be "supporting" dealing with factory defaults but as
> > Samuel points out earlier in the thread
> >
> The criteria specifically refers to installing to freespace, so other
> than the single partition reference what is the problem?  If the user
> wants to install alongside a default windows install, they will either
> have to resize the partitions on their own or risk letting the installer
> resize it (if it will).

I can kinda see Johann's point, which is that - since most dual boot
installs will require a resize - if we don't 'support' resize, we're
really not 'supporting' dual boot installs. He's not wrong. But overall,
I think it's worthwhile having the criterion to ensure that, as cmurf
said, we at least make sure we get the bootloader stuff right at release
time.