F19 Installer a little better, but...

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:20:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 09:09:02 -0700
Adam Williamson wrote:

> > Actually, just calling it "Next" instead of "Done" would help a lot
> > to provide some hope that you might eventually get to select partitions :-).
>
> Like I said, that's exactly what it was labeled before, and people
> didn't like that either (check F18).

I'm pretty sure the interface I would find most useful that should
also solve the problem of protecting disks is this:

Go directly to a tree of disks and partitions and free space.

The disks are all "locked". They probably have a lock icon next
to them. You can do readonly operations on locked disks, but
not clobber anything.

The tree contains a comment field out to the side which can
include things like the kernel installed on that partition,
the label of that parition, etc. Or for disks the model
and serial number. But kernels are not roots of trees
(that is just utter nonsense).

You have to unlock a disk first to be able to reformat or
delete partitions and use free space.

So now there are no extra screens to go through on a hope
and a prayer and disks are protected unless you unlock them.