rsyslog

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jun 15 19:43:53 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-15 at 15:40 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Update wants to replace rsyslog on my system- I have downgraded
> rsyslog to
> handle the "spamming log problem".
>

> [root at franksfedora19 frank]# yum update
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package rsyslog.i686 0:7.2.6-1.fc19 will be updated
> ---> Package rsyslog.i686 0:7.4.0-1.fc19 will be an update
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>

> Is it safe now to allow it to be upgraded ?

if you have updated to systemd 204-8, it ought to be safe.

If you have inflated logs from the SELinux accounts-daemon bug, then
rsyslog will still run the CPU to 100% for some time after the upgrade,
because it'll be writing the entire journal out to /var/log/messages;
but it will eventually complete and quiet down. Personally I recommend
pruning the journal first if you have a huge journal full of those
SELinux messages - if your system logs aren't that important to you, you
can safely just blow away the larger (over 10MB) files
in /var/log/journal and that should trim the journal down to a
reasonable size.