consider people with poor vision

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 15 19:46:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-15 12:12 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> The point is that there is only so much
> space for text in the UI. Have you tried running anaconda in Japanese or
> German at 800x600? When there's too much text on a spoke (those are both
> languages which use a lot of characters to say the same thing compared
> to English), the display of the spoke becomes entirely corrupted.

Who's forcing anyone to run a native display mode during installation? The
Mandriva/Mageia approach seems rather sensible: announce a limited choice of
display resolutions at initialization and in the docs, then use the highest
of the limited choices even when the device's native mode is much higher.
It/they default to 800x600, offering text and 1024x768 as alternatives, and
plant windows sized to 1024x768 in the middle of a larger background for any
who figure out how to (unnecessarily) get X into any mode higher than
1024x768 during the OS installation process.

> Well, no, that's absolutely useless and just reviving a decade old
> bikeshed. That is not what I was planning to do at all. Fixed 96dpi is a
> ship that's sailed.

It can't be denied that forcing is doing what it's doing. Whether to do
anything about it directly is a different matter. If there's an easier way to
keep text from shrinking as display size increases, fine; but don't continue
to penalize people who follow a logical course of action when they need or
want bigger. Text that shrinks as available space for it increases is idiotic.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/