installing TC3 on EFI

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sat Jun 15 20:28:53 UTC 2013

On Jun 15, 2013, at 3:37 PM, moshe nahmias <moshegrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, if it's possible to do dual boot, one install with bios and the other with EFI then I can do it and then I will be able to do it for much longer since I have a bios installation now that works.

It's not advised to run CSM (BIOS) because in many (all?) implementations AHCI isn't fully supported so you get SATA devices in a fallback IDE mode and therefore poor performance. Also ACPI is limited so battery life of the laptop isn't so great. Of course in BIOS mode, there's a better chance of either linux or proprietary video drivers working and supporting power save modes for the GPU, whereas for UEFI the drivers are less common (but any day now I expect to be totally wrong on this).

Further, it looks like more than a handful of UEFI firmware implementations hang booting EFI OS's when the protective MBR 0xEE entry has the active flag set (pmbr_boot flag in parted). The setting of this flag is done by anaconda when the disk contains an existing GPT and the system is a BIOS mode boot at the time of the installation. So unless you're willing to set and unset that flag manually before rebooting you may find one or the other mode won't work.

Chris Murphy