grub2 boot problems after updating to grub2-tools-2.00-20 and grub2-2.00-20

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Jun 17 14:23:57 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:55:40AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 08:55 +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > Hi all testers,
> >
> > the "jumbo" update from this morning (Germany!) includes an update of
> > grub2 and grub2-tools to the version given in the subject.
> >
> > Problems:
> >
> > 1. If booting, grub2 complains about
> >
> > /boot/grub2/themes/system/DejeVuSans-10.pf2 not found
> > /boot/grub2/themes/system/DejeVuSans-12.pf2 not found
> > /boot/grub2/themes/system/DejeVuSans-Bold-14pf2 not found
>
> > /boot/grub2/themes/system/theme.txt not found
> >
> > 2. I miss the standard grub2 colored graphical display background during
> > the OS selection (b/w only)
> >

> > Getting rid of this probs by downgrading grub2 and grub2-tools.
> >
> > Anybody sees this too?
>
> The update description reads:
>
> "Moves all of the theme to the -starfield subpackage. Update to latest
> upstream plus various fixes."
>
> If you want the theme, install grub2-starfield . Graphical themed grub
> is no longer the OOTB default; we went back to console mode as the
> default.
>
> Though Peter, IIRC, UEFI installs still use graphical mode by default?
> Do we want to put the theme in the default UEFI package set? Or am I off
> there?

For new installs, we're not using the theme at all - right now anaconda
isn't setting GRUB_THEME at all, ever.

For old installs, you'll want to install starfield.  I'm not really
sure what to do about this to make old installs work - we don't want to
Require the subpackage, because we don't want it installed on fresh
installs (and especially on live images where space is critical),
but obviously we've got no other way to pull it in on old installations.

As to why Joachim isn't seeing the subpackage in the repo - it's
"grub2-starfield-theme", I was just sloppy in the update description.
I've fixed that now.

--
        Peter