gnome-shell cpu usage during installation

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 13:25:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 19:23 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> While anaconda is running an installation, gnome-shell is hogging a
> whole core on its own, and X is using about 25% of the other core. Is
> this expected? This is on baremetal, with a nouveau supported GPU:
> NVIDIA Corporation G84M [GeForce 8600M GT] [10de:0407]. I wouldn't
> expect gnome-shell to need to fall back to a rendering method that'd
> be this CPU intensive.

I assume you mean the live installer by this, as the normal anaconda
doesn't run gnome-shell at all.  A compositor has some of the same
properties as the X server itself: it _has_ to respond when an app draws
something, otherwise the bits don't show up on the screen.  So it's
possible that what you're seeing there is anaconda updating the screen
"often" (more than 60fps, at least), and X and the shell struggling to
keep up.

But this is what profilers are for.

- ajax