consider people with poor vision

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Jun 18 20:02:33 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-15 at 12:12 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> No, that's not the point at all. The point is that there is only so much
> space for text in the UI. Have you tried running anaconda in Japanese or
> German at 800x600? When there's too much text on a spoke (those are both
> languages which use a lot of characters to say the same thing compared
> to English), the display of the spoke becomes entirely corrupted.

So lemme recap what you have been saying in this and other posts.... The
current design breaks both internationalization and accessability and
you recognize that reality.  Fixing these problems isn't an option
though because.... well because.

Tearing Anaconda apart and rebuilding it from the ground up was an
imperative, complaints be damned, because the Anaconda devs had a
hankering to do that; they had a fever and the only cure was some more
cowbell.  But making it useable while they already had it tore apart?
Nobody was interested in that.

Or am I just being a Negative Nancy?

I don't think so.  Specifying UI in pixels is an outdated 20th Century
concept that was justified in a day of 16bit computers with pitiful
resources and bitmapped fonts.  We have surrendered to the notion of
wasting cycles on darned near everything else, why not blow some on
something actually useful?  Yet Anaconda has went through more than one
major rework/rewrite/retool since the turn of the Century and the entry
into the era of computing 'plenty' and is still bound to an 800x600 SVGA
display that hasn't even been seen on the surplus market in a decade.
Ok, it does help install on a netbook, but it really is time to make it
variable and give every install screen a vertical scrollbar to eliminate
the possibility of dialogs that won't fit.