gnome-shell cpu usage during installation

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Jun 18 21:17:31 UTC 2013

On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:38 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

> On 06/18/2013 01:27 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> With the system installed, dragging e.g. a Firefox window, around the screen approximates the same behavior. gnome-shell is pegged. This doesn't seem right.
>
> The system I am typing from has the NVIDIA binary driver and experiences
> the same "pegged" behavior. Gnome Shell has always worked this way.

Not for me. On a 2011 Macbook Pro I don't get either the anaconda or Firefox induced gnome-shell pegging behavior. It uses at most 7% CPU on that system, which has both MD Radeon HD 6750M and Intel HD Graphics 3000. I'm not sure which one is being used.

On the older hardware with NVIDIA card, OS X's compositor doesn't have this issue with the NVIDIA produced native driver. During gnome 3's life, testing on this hardware, I intermittantly get messages of Gnome starting in fall back mode, even though it shouldn't have to do that on this hardware. So I wonder if effectively I'm getting whatever the new fallback mode CPU based compositor is.

>>> But this is what profilers are for.
>> OK?
>
> You are free to profile gnome-shell and see exactly why so much CPU is
> used to move a window around. Maybe you could provide a patch to Gnome
> to reduce it.

Maybe when I have the interest level and spare time to gain the prerequisite of knowing how to write code, and then specifically for gnome, yes maybe I can provide a patch … by which time I won't care much at all about the hardware in question.

Chris Murphy