consider people with poor vision

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jun 18 23:26:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 18:26 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> I'm not saying make text bigger unconditionally. I'm saying text needs to be
> sized in a reasonable (aka fully rational) relationship to both device
> density and user characteristics, not stuffing gray 9px or 10px text down the
> throats of all regardless of their hardware or visual acuity.

And the other point I'm making is that that's a) not anaconda's problem
to solve and b) not an easy problem for *anyone* to solve. You can't
just assume the DPI given for a display is correct or appropriate; the
situation is far more complex. That's what all those links I pasted in
your bug report are about. 'Let's size everything physically!' seems
like a neat idea when you first read about it, but it never works out
quite that well in practice.

> The only solace for today's visually challenged is that today's young
> software creators lucky enough to reach old age and accumulate the wisdom
> that should accompany it will in fact survive to old age, where likely good
> eyesight will exist only in what's left of their cranial memories.

The anaconda team is hardly a bunch of 20-somethings...