F19 Installer a little better, but...

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu Jun 20 20:01:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 05:54:33PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 12:39 +1200, Gavin Flower wrote:

> > > Could be a bug with the geoloc stuff in the case where you need the
> > > pre-hub network screen, I guess. Does the network config screen come up
> > > *before* or *after* the "Welcome" screen?
>
> > The welcome screen comes up first: WELCOME TO FEDORA 19-TC3.
>
> Ah. Well then obviously it can't guess your language based on your
> location at that point, as you haven't configured the network yet.
>
> This seems reasonable - it's probably better to do it this way around
> than the other (which would make the geoloc work, but require people to
> navigate the network spoke in English first).
>
> If it doesn't re-do the geoloc stuff to get the timezone at least
> correct after you complete the network screen, though, that could be
> considered a bug.

Just FYI, we have another method of guessing language now as well - *if*
you've got a UEFI machine, and the firmware vendor has set the language
the firmware is in, and that language is in our list, we'll use it.  So
if e.g. you buy a new PC in the middle of China, it's possible that it'll
come up in Simplified Chinese.

So far I've seen a couple of machines that at least support different
languages reasonably well in the firmware *and* correctly set the values
that tell us what language they're using, but I haven't seen anything
default to non-en_US.  That said, I'm in Massachusetts, so the odds
aren't that high that I would.

Obviously, this is just for language, not timezone.

--
        Peter