need PreferredMode troubleshooting help [solved]

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 21 07:43:54 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-21 03:07 (GMT-0400) Adam Williamson composed:

> KDE has a checkbox for *everything in the world*, so I'm sure you can
> reverse/reconfigure it somewhere. I haven't used it, but I'm assuming it
> can set resolution and refresh rate as well as multi-monitor
> positioning, hence useful for single monitors.

This is the same A11Y problem you keep complaining I complain about. The
obstacle here repeated is it can be much harder or even impossible for people
faced with too small GUI text to make it big enough than it is the other way
around. Without the necessity of a mouse pointer too small to see, or
checkboxes too small to hit with limited dexterity, xorg.conf can be used to
reverse globally-forced 96 DPI even before KDM ever accepts its first login,
thus enabling fine tuning from within KDE using text legible to the
beneficiaries of competent A11Y design.

KScreen in F19 currently is overriding xorg.conf, reverting text to
inadequate forced-to-96 size. Whether this is WAD or Fedora bug or upstream
bug is yet to be discovered by me, but I see a grand total of only 9 KScreen
bugs on bugs.kde.org. Based exclusively on their summaries, none seem to be
related to this behavior.

P.S. I did find out openSUSE is holding KScreen back from standard repos
until 4.11.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/