F19 Installer a little better, but...

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 23:23:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 22:49 -0400, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > So if I'm reading things right, no, langtable doesn't currently make
> > any attempt to associate each Indian language with a territory any
> > more specific than 'India', and as currently implemented, couldn't
> > actually do this. Mike may well correct me if I'm wrong and he's
> > reading, though. It may be the case that he'd consider it valid to
> > extend the concept of a 'territory' down to province/state level but
> > just hasn't implemented it yet, or it may be that he considers it to
> > be strictly tied to the ISO 3166 standard. I don't know.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_with_official_status_in_India#States
> has a mapping of languages to states if anyone wants to go that route
> and if you need more help, feel free to ping me.

So I did one more bit of digging into this - went and checked what
anaconda actually *does* with prelocation and translations. Here it is,
from welcome.py:

        # We can use the territory from geolocation here
        # to preselect the translation, when it's available.
        territory = geoloc.get_territory_code()
        self.language = Language(LOCALE_PREFERENCES, territory=territory)

        # check if there is one and only one locale for the territory
        if len(self.language.preferred_locales) != 1:
            log.info("Didn't get a single locale from Geolocation,"
                        " falling back to default locale.")
            self.language = Language(LOCALE_PREFERENCES, territory=None)
            # Explanation:
            # Some territories have multiple locales,
            # for example, the Switzerland has:
            # de_CH, it_CH and fr_CH
            # As there is no clear order of preference for them,
            # it is safer to just fall back to the default locale

So it definitely is trying to pick a default language from the
geolocation-determined territory, but if the territory it decides you're
in has more than one language associated with it in langtable, it gives
up and falls back on 'the default locale' (i.e. US English).

So this is actually good for our big test case, India - presumably
people in India will wind up with U.S. English as the pre-selected
language, which is what we thought would be best anyway. There could
potentially still be some problems, but at least some of the more
problematic cases should actually be okay.