Proposed dates for Fedora 19 image composes

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Mar 7 10:12:18 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Hi, folks. There was some discussion of this at the meeting on
> Monday,
> but no-one really gave much input, so I wanted to run these ideas by
> the
> list before we commit to them. Let's look at the image compose
> schedule
> for F19.
>
> As things stand, the F19 calendar -
> http://fedorapeople.org/groups/schedule/f-19/f-19-quality-tasks.html
> -
> still has the Acceptance Test Plan milestones in it. As with F18, we
> should probably take most of these out: we agreed to replace them
> with
> TCs a couple of releases back, and that has been working out fine. We
> can keep one, pre-Alpha, for a quick 'sanity check' run - for someone
> spin up a boot.iso and file whatever showstoppers it inevitably
> contains, just ahead of the TC date.

Yep, I'm definitely in favour of trying to spin it up as early as
possible. Last time we used pre-F19 compose for Usability lab it wasn't
bad, so at least I don't expect any big surprise as with F18, but you
know ;-)

> We should also drop the specific 'Test (milestone) Candidate' dates -
> we
> don't really schedule RCs, we simply start building them as soon as
> possible after the change deadline, once blocker bugs are addressed.
> The
> date serves no purpose.

I don't copy RCs creation to Wiki schedule any more, it's just confusing
people, and I'm happy with the ack to clean it up it TJ. Thanks ;-)

> So looking back at the schedule we wound up using for F17:
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-November/104583.html
>
> We pretty much went with 'three weeks between TC1 and Go/No-Go'. I
> think
> we should go with that again for F19. (We more or less did the same
> for
> F18, but I'm not sure we updated the official schedule, and we pretty
> much did wall-to-wall TCs from Beta till Final).

It just wasn't updated - did not make sense that time with all
schedule crashes.

> So here's what I'd propose as the dates for the F19 schedule:
>
> Pre-Alpha Rawhide Acceptance Test Plan #1		Thu 2013-03-14

I'd say let's rename it - or at least get rid of the Test Plan #1
part. It looks quite confusing if it's all about spinning up a pre-alpha
compose for smoke testing.

"Smoke Test Pre-Alpha Rawhide Acceptance Compose"

> Test Alpha 'Test Compose' 				Tue 2013-03-19
> Fedora 19 Alpha Go/No-Go Meeting (17:00 US Eastern) 	Wed 2013-04-10
>
> Test Beta 'Test Compose' 				Tue 2013-04-23
> Fedora 19 Beta Go/No-Go Meeting (17:00 US Eastern) 	Wed 2013-05-15
>
> Test 'Final' Test Compose (TC) 				Tue 2013-05-28
> Fedora 19 Final Go/No-Go Meeting (17:00 US Eastern) 	Tue 2013-06-18
>
> The entries "Pre-Alpha Rawhide Acceptance Test Plan #2", "Pre-Alpha
> Rawhide Acceptance Test Plan #3", "Test Alpha Candidate", "Pre-Beta
> Acceptance Test Plan", "Test Beta Candidate", "Pre-RC Acceptance Test
> Plan" and "Test 'Final' RC" can be dropped.

I already dropped some of them yesterday. The schedule drafted above
works for me.

> As a side note for Jaroslav, there are some odd discrepancies between
> the wording of the Alpha and Beta entries and the wording of the
> Final
> entries.

I'm aware of it, thanks.

> This schedule would give us 13 days till the first TC, folks, so time
> get those pre-validation-cycle changes in! Yes, I know I'm the worst
> offender here - I still have some major criteria changes that I
> _really_
> need to finish up and propose this week.

It was pretty short time to recover from F18...

Thanks for feedback, I'll commit the changes today and send the link
back for review.

Jaroslav