Test Day kickstart update

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Wed Mar 20 17:48:43 UTC 2013

Hello,

I and Lukas Brabec have worked on our Test Day kickstart:

* Lukas has created a welcome screen (based on LiveCD welcome screen) which should make super-easy to participate in the test day. It opens up the wiki page and the IRC chat in a browser. Behold: http://i.imgur.com/4ePuB1w.png

* I have tried to strip all unimportant packages to make the image as small as possible. The reasoning is that bandwidth is important for many people and we should keep just the most important stuff in the kickstart. If the Test Day host team needs additional packages, they will simply adjust the kickstart and add what they need, overriding the defaults. Currently we are at 680 MB (the default LiveCD is now at 1.2 GB).

* I have changed some system defaults to a more reliable state, namely disabled firewall and set SELinux into permissive mode. My thinking is that we should keep most obstacles away to let people test the stuff they are asked to test. The firewall sometimes makes the life harder and the cause is hard to discover ("why my ssh doesn't work?"). The SELinux, if in permissive mode, still reports issues and the user can easily file them into bugzilla, but doesn't prevent the programs from functioning. It's easier to ask users to report any SELinux popups than to instruct them how to turn it off if the program "behaves weirdly". Again, Test Day maintainers can override this if they see fit.

* I have removed Anaconda. Partly to save space, but not just because of it. Because the image is heavily modified (half of the packages are missing, some system defaults are changed), I don't think this is a good candidate for installation. I think TCs/RCs serve this purpose much better, they are the default offering. Of course Test Day maintainers can add Anaconda back, if they want, but I don't think we should have it there by default.

The new kickstart is temporarily stored here:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/fedora-qa.git/tree/?h=testday

And a sample Test Day image is here:
http://kparal.fedorapeople.org/testdays/testday-f19-sample.iso
sha256sum: 82d0791e00cd3fc3d4c96d5af43853ef7618079fb9db72cd05f9c0f5af01f6b9

Before I request committing it to spin-kickstarts, I'd like to ask if you have some concerns or suggestions about the new kickstart. Do you think some of the system changes are not appropriate? Do you think that some of the packages I removed should stay? Or some more packages should be removed? Tell me.

Once this is done, I'll update our wiki guide:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/Live_Image

Thanks.