Test Day kickstart update

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Thu Mar 21 19:29:18 UTC 2013

> Thanks for this! It's worth noting I haven't used the kickstart for
> many
> images lately, as it was so crufty - a lot of the stuff in there just
> doesn't work, as it was designed for GNOME 2. Did you look at / fix
> any
> of that?

Yes, the legacy stuff (desktop icons, GNOME 2 favorites) are removed, and instead GNOME 3 adjustments were added - welcome screen, dash favorites, Firefox home page.

The welcome screen probably works only in GNOME. It uses GNOME JavaScript, so we can easily place that into kickstart instead of packaging the software. I'll ask Lukas to have a look whether we can show the welcome screen even in other DEs, if we include some GNOME library or something.

> It's my experience that SELinux doesn't necessarily give you all the
> denials in enforcing=0 that you get in enforcing=1,

You're right, but from what I've seen that should be very exceptional and rare, right?

> but I don't care
> hugely either way, as it can be toggled either way easily enough.
> Still,
> if we're going to make test day images with two of our major security
> features disabled, we should communicate this very clearly on Test
> Day
> pages.

I'm not really convinced that disabling firewall and SELinux is a better default for Test Days. I think it could be a bit better, but it's just an idea - if you (anyone) have good arguments against it, I have no problem reverting it. The SELinux is quite fine in both approaches, it always pops up error dialogs. The firewall is more silent and can lead to hard-to-discover issues, on the other hand it is quite a departure from the default setting.

> Oh, one more thing - you might want to base off of the
> fedora-live-desktop.ks rather than fedora-livecd-desktop.ks , as I don't
> think anyone really cares about maintaining fedora-livecd-desktop.ks any
> more.

This is quite a surprise for me. We use fedora-livecd-desktop.ks for nightly composes. So for official TCs/RCs we use fedora-live-desktop.ks now?

Why is fedora-livecd-desktop.ks still available then? I should probably ask Desktop SIG. Some of the package removals will be needed to be transferred from fedora-livecd-desktop.ks to fedora-live-desktop.ks anyway.