Criterion proposal: firstboot / initial-setup / gnome-initial-setup, user creationa

Kamil Paral kparal at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 10:09:05 UTC 2013

> So, we add a new installer criterion:
>
> * The graphical installer interface must be able to create a working
> user account.

Do we want to hard-code this functionality, or do we want to say "if the installer allows a user account creation, it must work properly"?

In the past I think I've heard comments like "we can't change that, the release criteria require XYZ functionality" and I understand some developers might really think that. There is a blurry line between a criterion that was tailored closely to a program but can be adjusted easily if the program changes, and a criterion that is a distribution-wide policy and the program must adhere to it no matter what.

> We modify the post-install requirements like this:
>
> * A system installed with a graphical package set must boot to an
> initial setup utility on the first boot after installation. The
> firstboot utility must be able to create a working user account if

  ^^^ You wanted to say 'initial setup utility' instead of 'firstboot utility'

> this
> was not done during installation.
> * After initial setup is completed and on subsequent boots, a
> graphical
> install must boot to a log in screen where it is possible to log in
> to a
> working desktop as the user created during initial setup or
> installation.
>
> and add a 'hidden' paragraph which reads:
>
> HEADING: Initial setup utilities
> CONTENT: An initial setup utility is a tool to let the user create
> user
> accounts and, optionally, configure other elements of the system,
> like
> language or date and time. Different initial setup utilities may be
> used
> depending on the desktop and/or package set you choose during
> installation.

Sounds good.