[Test-Announce] Fedora 19 Alpha Test Compose 2 (TC2) Available Now!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Mar 26 15:44:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:20:16 -0700,
   John Reiser <jreiser at bitwagon.com> wrote:
>On 03/26/2013 07:10 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 00:17:35 -0400,
>>   Andre Robatino <robatino at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> *IMPORTANT*: All DVDs and Lives are oversized, so will not fit on the
>>> standard media.
>
>> Does anyone know the reason for this? I see this is likely breaking
>> the nightly compose of the games spin as well.
>
>Unless there is a specific, identified, and quantified expansion to complain about,
>then the reason for increased size is "Progress".

I think I am seeing a pretty big jump, so I was thinking it was more than
just progress. It looks like the games spin nightly build is over 1GB
bigger during the build (before compresion).

>The use of xz/lzma for compression (instead of gzip/zlib) saved 15% to 30% in space
>about a year and one-half ago.  Some spins soon expanded to use all available space.

I was involved with that. Some spins were going to be oversized without
adding packages and the xz compression just got them back to where they
had been the previous release.

>The workaround for "too big to fit on media" is to remove selected packages.

Sure. Since the games spin includes the gnome-desktop spin I was wondering
if this was something that was going to be taken care of there and I should
just wait a bit or if I was going to need to drop a large game or two to
get back to 4GB compressed.