Request for focused testing on containers (LVM, btrfs) in F19 Beta TCs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 3 23:08:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-05-03 at 13:56 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On May 1, 2013, at 10:25 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > UI feedback is nice but we're mostly after bugs, here.
>
> 1. I can't tell when this happened, but at least in 19.23 there's a
> rather significant BTRFS regression in that there are no raid level
> options at all. Some prior version at least offered raid0 and raid1
> (while Fedora 18 also offered raid10). Bug or UI problem?

Well, it's a UI *change* - this is now in the properties of the
container. If you pick any subvol, you should see a button that lets you
edit the properties of the volume, and you can set its name, target size
and RAID level from there. This is part of the major container UI change
we're trying to test, in fact.

> 2. (md) RAID levels 4, 5, 6 refer to "error checking" which is wrong.
> There is no error checking at all in normal operation of any of these
> RAID levels. It's a grossly misleading description. I've mentioned it
> probably 1/2 dozen times on anaconda@ through the F18 lifecycle and
> it's been ignored. I don't know if I need to use stronger language or
> what, but the current descriptions effectively lie to users about how
> these RAID levels function. In a world where words, terms, actually
> have meaning rather than being meaningless, this needs to be fixed.

Is there a specific bug report for it?

> >  trying to set up LVM-on-RAID (which now ought to be possible, I
> believe)
>
> If it is possible, I can't figure out how to do it.

Similar to the btrfs thing; you set it from the properties of the VG
now.