Manual partitioning: Label field

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun May 5 17:55:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-05-05 at 10:43 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> For LVM, the Name field is used for the Logical Volume name. Label field is available, but appears it's not used for anything.
>
> For Btrfs, the Name field is used for the subvolume name. Again, the label field is available, but the entry is unused.
>
> For Standard Partitions, the Name field is grayed out with the device designation entered in for you and you can't change it. And the Label field is where you give the volume a name. This is pretty screwy. I think the Label field can be dropped, but before filing a bug I figured I'd see if I'm missing something.

It'd probably be better to post this on the anaconda list; the only way
we could authoritatively answer your question here would be to go ask
the anaconda devs and relay the answer to you. :) I wouldn't be
surprised if it were inconsistent, since these UI elements have changed
quite a lot at different times and we may have forgotten to ensure the
'big picture' of what field means what remained consistent.