Guided partitioning is fundamentally broken for Btrfs default use

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun May 12 22:20:22 UTC 2013

On May 12, 2013, at 4:10 PM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2013, at 3:55 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Just delete the F18 partitions? Who said you had to resize them?
>
> If the identical behavior occurred with existing ext4 installations, and the stated work around was to delete the F18 install, people would be giving birth to bovines well beyond the plain text password thread.

Aside from the ensuing "F19 can't be installed along side F18 on Btrfs unless you using Manual partitioning" problem, due to how reasonably large Btrfs volumes can be, it's more like "you can't install F19 unless you obliterate your 40TB btrfs raid10 array, even though you have 20TB free space on that volume".

What the behavior does is relegate everyone, eventually, to using Manual partitioning in order to add a new subvolume to do side by side installs. And I'll argue that behavior makes Guided partitioning totally incompatible with any practical usage of Btrfs as a default file system.

Chris