Weird pointer behavior in F19

Michael Knepher mknepher at bluethingy.com
Tue May 21 18:53:03 UTC 2013

I've been running F19 on my laptop since pre-Alpha, and I've got it
fully up-to-date. Starting yesterday I started noticing strange issues
with the pointer on some applications - mainly epiphany, gedit and
evolution - and was wondering if anyone else is seeing similar issues.

* The first thing I noticed yesterday was in epiphany. In a given tab,
the pointer would get "stuck" in a certain context (i.e., would remain
as the hand or cursor bar after mousing over a link or text), as long as
that tab was in focus (including the scrollbar). Other tabs or windows
would not exhibit this problem, but the problem would persist when
switching back to the problematic tab. Refreshing the page seems to make
the problem go away for a time.

* Scrollbar behavior - another "intermittent" issue has been a problem
interacting with the scrollbar using the mouse. When "dragging" a
scrollbar with the pointer, the scrollbar will stay put and the viewport
will not change until the mouse button is released. Sometimes this is
accompanied by an inability to scroll the viewport with the scrollwheel.
I've had this issue in all three of the above-named apps, but it seems
to come and go with no predictable pattern.

* Inability to select text by click-dragging - in windows/text views(?
not sure of the technical terms here) in which the scrollbar issue is
present, it is impossible to select text by clicking and dragging with
the mouse. I can click-and-release in a spot to set the cursor, then
shift-click at another point to select a block of text, or double- and
triple-click to select words and lines, but not simply drag.

* Disappearing pointer in gedit - this morning I also noticed that while
working in gedit, the pointer will disappear when I start typing in a
document. The pointer will remain invisible while within the document
pane, it will only show up when moving outside the editing pane. Saving
the document or switching to another tab and back to the original tab
will cause the pointer to reappear within the editing pane. While the
pointer is missing, I have the same issues with scrolling and selecting
described above.

Is anyone else seeing similar issues? I'm running an Acer Aspire 5553G
laptop, with a USB mouse and keyboard attached.

Michael Knepher