F19 Beta RC2: First log in - GNOME Welcome goes full screen

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue May 21 23:21:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 22:54 +0200, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> Is it possible to disable this "feature"? It might be funny when you are
> 10 years old, new Linux user and just gotten your first computer from
> your parents. For all other cases it's ... ridiculous? After 10 new
> accounts I'll have to contact psychotherapist. Besides, it scared me
> because I had to wait about 5 secs. before video loaded and was
> uncertain if my freshly installed box hanged with White Screen of
> Death). What is most important - it is wasting users time.

Are you in the account creation business ?

In any case, as others have pointed out, gnome-initial-setup won't run
if the file ~/.config/gnome-initial-setup-done exists. the welcome video
will only play if the file ~/.config/run-welcome-tour exists.

All of this can easily be found out by looking at the
gnome-initial-setup package - which is a leaf package and can be removed
without any harm to your system.

Matthias