[Test-Announce] Fedora 19 Beta Release Candidate 3 (RC3) Available Now!

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 23 01:33:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 06:13:55PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Can you elaborate on those? (Or point me to something; I tried to Google
> > but only found you saying a similar thing in a different post.)
> dgilmore could do a better job of it, but basically, the way lmc was
> initially designed was pretty much fundamentally incompatible with the
> way releng builds live images.

Ah. Primarily, building in a VM as opposed to a chroot. Secondly, the image
preparation would run on the _host_ system's OS, rather than the
to-be-installed one, so fixes to the image generation would have to happen
at that level rather than in the tree. (The installer itself matches the
installation, but the infrastructure firing up the VM and processing the
output might not.)

There _are_ issues to solve but I think it pretty much has to be the way
forward, because building in a chroot, _especially_ with a tool other than
anaconda itself, has its own set of issues.

Using something like livemedia-creator or oz has enough advantages that it's
worth spending the effort to fix the difficulties. Jay Greguske is working
on integrating this into Koji, but, yeah, too much work to make F19.
(Initially for cloud images, but eventually doing live images the same way.)
Some kind of combined approach might be possible. (Especially when we have
nested KVM on the builders....)

I was just wondering if there were other potential pitfalls to be aware of.