Heisenbug: Xfce vs MATE

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX caf at omen.com
Fri Oct 4 22:08:30 UTC 2013

I have been running Heisenbug on omen.com since about Sep. 22.
Omen.com and my office machine are running  3.11.3-301.fc20.x86_64.

I have been running the MATE desktop as well as Xfce.
(BTW MATE is pronounced "mah-teigh".)

Xfce has the annoying habit of moving apps between panes.
For example, I normally have Thunderbird in the leftmost panes,
Firefox in the next, and Pan newsreader in the third.  If I click
on a URL from Thunderbird or Pan Xfce moves Firefox on
top of the other pane.  When finished looking at the web site
I have to move Firefox back to its pane.  I have not figured out
how to disable this most annoying feature.

On the other hand, MATE does not gnerate a wine group in the
applications menu the way Xfce does.  My work around is to
create the desktop icon in Xfce, which then appears in MATE.

Heisenbug has been running smoothly on omen.com once I got
it installed.  On my office machine networking has died a few
times in the last week or so.

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com