rpm scriptlet testing

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Oct 13 12:30:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-10-12 at 04:52 +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Rpm scriptlet testing is not expected to be automated in the near future
> (though eventually it really ought to be). I can test the PRE and POST
> scriptlets by a yum reinstall. PREUN and POSTUN are both harder to test, and
> more insidious since bugs appear even when updating to a fixed version. The
> F19 release version of usbmuxd has a PREUN bug, so we will soon have a long
> thread in the users list with stable users dealing with it. I don't know how
> to test PREUN and POSTUN short of either having an available lower version
> to downgrade to (maybe impossible in rawhide) or removing and reinstalling
> the rpm with --force (maybe a bad idea if the running system depends on it).
> What is the best way to test all four scriptlets manually, since we won't
> have automation for it soon?

That's a really good point and an interesting question - thanks for
bringing it up. Indeed this kind of bug tends to get dealt with only
when we realize things are on fire...

Thinking about it, there usually ought to be older versions of almost
all packages available in Koji at least - it does do garbage collection,
but it keeps stuff around for a while. It may be best to try and test
this using VMs, to control the environment as much as possible. I guess
we could actually take advantage of older pre-releases and TCs/RCs for
this, but as you say, especially with Rawhide, it might  be difficult /
impossible to test updates from certain intermediate packages after a
given time...
IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin DOT net