Fedora 20 nfs

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 01:24:07 UTC 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Mike Chambers <mike at mtchambers.com> wrote:
> Got this from the logs just after a reboot a few mins ago...
>
> Oct 13 09:58:45 scrappy systemd: Starting NFS file locking service....
> Oct 13 09:58:45 scrappy mount: mount.nfs4: mount system call failed
> Oct 13 09:58:45 scrappy systemd: home-download.mount mount process
> exited, code=exited status=32

`man 8 mount` sez an exit code of 32 means "mount failed".  Very helpful.  >:-(

> Oct 13 09:58:45 scrappy systemd: Failed to mount /home/download.
> Oct 13 09:58:45 scrappy systemd: Dependency failed for Remote File
> Systems.
> Oct 13 09:58:48 scrappy rsyslogd: log message from journal doesn't have
> MESSAGE
> Oct 13 09:58:45 scrappy systemd: Unit home-download.mount entered failed
> state.

One thing I forgot that's always an issue...do you use NetworkManager
or ye olde network service?  If it's the former, try running
`systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online` and rebooting.
Sometimes systemd tries to mount stuff before NM gets the network up.
(I thought they had fixed this to just do the right thing when remote
FSes were in the mix nowadays, but maybe I'm mistaken.  Or it broke
again with F20??)

Also, double-check your network connection settings and make sure the
"system connection" box is checked.  I'm pretty sure this is the
default (or maybe even not configurable) with GNOME, but other
desktops' NM UIs sometimes don't set this, so the network doesn't come
up on boot by default.

If all that fails, is the above just the output from `systemctl
status`?  `journalctl -b` might reveal some messages from the kernel
that systemctl's magic log grepper might not be picking up.

-T.C.