searching a method providing the migration of a whole F20 installation to another Fedora box

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Oct 17 16:50:22 UTC 2013

On Oct 17, 2013, at 10:19 AM, Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/17/2013 05:39 PM, Joachim Backes wrote:
>> Hi testers
>>
>> Some months ago I installed F20 on some box. Because it runs stable, I
>> tried to migrate this F20 to another box. So I copied the filesystem(s)
>> of that F20 to the target machine, and after having conformed fstab,
>> grub2 bootloader and some other files to the target machine, I tried to
>> boot, the boot was performed partially, but did not complete.
>>
>> The target machine runs F19.
>>
>> This method did run in earlier Fedoras!
>>
>> My question: is there a method to copy safely this F20 to another box?
>>
> Not exactly recommended, but its a good idea to rebuild your initramfs using dracut, or disable it in grub so all kernel modules are loaded properly on reboot.

If this is done with cp -a, then the volume UUIDs are all different, and by default anaconda creates fstab with UUIDs, and grub-mkconfig makes the grub.cfg with UUID also. So I would:

mount rootdevice /mnt
mount bootdevice /mnt/boot
mount -B /dev /mnt/dev
mount -B /proc /mnt/proc
mount -B /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt
fix the /etc/fstab, use blkid or ll /dev/disk/by-uuid/ to find the UUIDs
dracut -f blah.img blahkernel
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
exit
reboot

Should work. And if you want to rebuild the rescue initramfs, remove the rescue kernel and initramfs from /boot and run:
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/51-dracut-rescue-postinst.sh

Chris Murphy