F20 anaconda progress bar

Gavin Flower GavinFlower at archidevsys.co.nz
Wed Sep 11 21:21:12 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 05:54, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> On my last installation (TC4) anaconda's blue progress bar stalled at
> approximately 40% while thousands of packages were installed.  I suspect
> this is "Working as Designed".  There is a continuing display of package
> names as they are installed, as well as counts of installed packages and
> total number of packages to be installed, therefore a user is not likely
> to think the installation process is stuck just because there is no
> movement of the progress bar.  The little slide show below the progress
> bar also continues.
>
> This does, however, give an impression the installer is a bit crude:
> during the longest part of the installation process, there is no movement
> of the progress bar.
>
> If someone does see better behavior of the anaconda progress indicator,
> please post to say it is my experience that is wacky.
I have observed the same as you.  I suspect it only gets updated after
each stage of installation is completed.

I think there should be a progress bar for each stage, updating
according to the number of micro-stages/files/bytes/... (as appropriate)
processed. From memory, as the last install I did was for F19, there
should be 4 bars labelled appropriately.  This way, not only would be
people be aware of what stage the installation was at, but they would
have an indication of the progress in the current stage, and what other
stages were yet to be started.  Obviously, if 2 or more stage could be
done in parallel, then those progress bars would be updated concurrently.

Moreimportantly, the progress bar (if there is only to be one) should be
finer grained than up dating after each major stage.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Cheers,
Gavin