environment group 'KDE Plasma Workspaces'

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 18 16:18:12 UTC 2013

>No, they're arch-specific. (geode is 32-bit x86, omap is ARM.)

That makes sense.  Should yum understand this better?  I mean, should the
group list specify architecture dependencies:  some packages are needed
for one architecture, others needed for a different architecture?

As things stand, I do not know how to (easily) distinguish cases such as
those Rex Dieter fixed, which had missing packages due to incorrect
names, from cases where a listed Mandatory Package is not used for the
current architecture.

>From the yum man page:

  Groups are marked as "installed" if all mandatory packages are installed,
  or if a group doesn't have any mandatory packages then it is installed if
  any of the optional or default package are installed (when not in
  group_command=objects mode).

It looks like yum will misunderstand a case like xorg-x11-drv-geode (not
applicable for x86_64 architecture) and report that
kde-desktop-envorinment is not installed because it requires base-x, for
which xorg-x11-drv-geode is a Mandatory Package.

This starts to look like my original complaint, where I thought
kde-desktop-envorinment (aka 'KDE Plasma Workspaces') had been installed,
but yum did not list it as an installed group.

Bill, do you think there is a bug here, a documentation error (or words
that could be improved), or am I simply barking up the wrong tree?