Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 23:04:44 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 10:43 PM, nonamedotc wrote:
> While I do think this is a good idea, I am a few immediate concerns on
> which I would request a bit more information/guidance -
>
> 1. What if a bug is due to a specific combination libraries or builds
> in Fedora and not necessarily an upstream issue?

Upstream will point that out and we take care of that then and there.

> 2. In many cases, abrt does a nice job of collecting all the
> information needed to file a bug report? If we are repoting bugs
> directly to upstream, people who are not very familiar with the
> process might not be able to file bug reports properly, which might in
> turn annoy the developers. What would our workaround for this?

Many years ago I started the how to debug process to address exactly
what you express here in the distribution and at that time developers
where pretty annoyed with poor bug reporting here we just continue with
it where I left it but adapt it with and in accordance to upstream
procedures.

> 3, Will reporting to upstream be possible for new users?

Yes why should it not be?

> When I started using Fedora (or Linux in general, just three years
> ago), I had no idea what information was appropriate in a bug report
> much less know the various components! So, does anyone else think that
> reporting bugs to upstream has the potential to alienate enthusiastic
> new users?

I have hard time seeing that happening but given that I have experienced
myself first hand certain openbsd kernel developer behaviour from
upstream there is nothing that prevents that from happening.

JBG