Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at verizon.net
Mon Sep 23 23:46:42 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 05:49 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Greetings you all
>
> After bit of irc discussion there is a compelling reason to move
> entirely away from Red Hat bugzilla as well as away from concept of
> hosting our own.
>
> Now it pretty much boils down to this.
>
> 1. Generic attitude of many maintainers is that reports either go to the
> correct place ( upstream ) or they get their bugzilla ignored.
> 2. More often than not downstream maintainer as in packager does not
> know the code at all so filling the bug downstream makes no sense since
> it brings just unnecessary latency to the process.
> 3. Hosting our own bugzilla cost resources and does not solve 1. or 2.
>
> I personally for many years have argued against this since to an
> reporter it might mean having thousand of accounts  but given that we
> are going through new fase and the times are changing in the linux eco
> system I would like to get your opinion about we stop reporting
> altogether in Red Hat bugzilla and report only directly upstream as in
> kernel bugs to the kernel community, Gnome bugs to theirs, KDE to their
> etc.
>
> The obvious benefit of doing this is that our bugs might actually get
> look at,dealt with as well as all that being done in a shorter time frame.
>
> Thoughts and comment.
>
> JBG

I have found Redhat bz more responsive, comparatively speaking, than
upstream bzs.  And, I certainly do not want the logistics involved in
knowing numerous upstream bzs. Reporting to one place has worked for
years even tho it is not perfect.  Maybe implement a little technology
that automatically forwards a bz as appropriate based on the package
being reported on.

Please don't change the current method.

--
Regards,