Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Tue Sep 24 01:17:48 UTC 2013

On 09/23/2013 04:58 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 09/23/2013 11:55 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> What to do when someone discovers what is clearly a problem but neither he nor anyone reading
>> his report here or on devel list can tell whether the bug is in kernel, driver, xorg,
>> gnome/kde/xfce/etc. or something else?
>
> Well I'm pretty sure upstream is better suited to judge if their component is at fault then the
> package maintainer in Fedora or devel.
>
> JBG

As a user, it's much more difficult to file a bug upstream:
Each upstream bugzilla:
    Almost always requires creating an account
    Different projects use different bug-tracking interfaces
Of course, that assumes that the user can find the upstream
project and their bug-tracking system (if any).

The Fedora bugzilla, even if occasionally non-responsive, is
*very* convenient.  One can at least see if other users are
experiencing the same issue.  And other Fedora users cat
at least leave bug comments that might aid other users
(even if the comment points upstream).

Although far from ideal, I'd put rate Fedora's bugzilla
at several notches above worthwhile.

Cheers,
-Bob Arendt