Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Tue Sep 24 10:07:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 09:53:46AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 09/24/2013 06:45 AM, Dan Horák wrote:
> >we are missing a tool that would clone the Fedora bugs from bugzilla to
> >upstream bug trackers. I think the removal of the manual work needed to
> >copy all the information from bugzilla to upstream tracker would be
> >appreciated by the packagers. I have the idea for the tool for quite
> >some time, but didn't find the time to realize it
>
> I requested that myself a while back but that died with RH bugzilla
> team ( just so we could at least have bidirectional communication
> between 2 bugzilla instances )

The problem is doing it right, so it only propagates useful information,
without too much bloat.  When I e.g. see what kind of bloat push Debian
bugtrackers into upstream bugzillas, the useful information there is
hidden in tons of email headers for every comment, tons of previous comments
duplicated (many times; reply to with stuff not being trimmed to a minimum,
reply to reply to reply to reply), etc.
So perhaps better is just to add to the upstream bz a link to the downstream
bugzilla, with optional comment or something, not duplicating everything
from the downstream bugzilla.

	Jakub