Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Tue Sep 24 12:19:33 UTC 2013

On 09/24/2013 05:46 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Given that this would the direction we take for the next 10 years for
> the QA community
On what basis do you assert that if we were to decide today to continue
to use RHBZ to track Fedora bugs, we would be locked into that decision
"for the next 10 years"? I see no grounds for such an assertion.

Also, "the QA community" is hardly the only stakeholder who should have
a voice in this discussion. In fact, there are four stakeholders: QA,
packagers, upstream, and users. What efforts are being made to solicit
useful feedback from all four groups?
> and based on you responce I have to ask how do you see the
> "traditional" desktop being relevant after all that time and if so
> used by whom as in which target users ( novice end users/power
> users/administrators )?
>
> [... amusing theorizing about how the growth of the tablet market
> means that in 10 years novice users won't be using Fedora anymore...]
>
> So from my point of view we wont be gathering reports from novices end
> users in 10 years time.
* Many of the benefits to RHBZ that I and others have pointed out accrue
whether the user base contains "novice" end users or not.

* I can play the prognostication game as well as you can, and no, I do
not think that the rise of the tablet means that in ten years there
won't be any "novice" users on desktop computers. I can type 102 words
per minute on a keyboard, and I can work a lot more productively on my
two 25" monitors than on an iPad screen. There are uses for which a
tablet is great, and uses for which a desktop computer will still be
better a hundred years from now.

* I expect that as smart-phones and tablets become more ubiquitous,
Fedora and other desktop OSes will evolve and focus on the things for
which desktops are best, while tablets will continue to focus on the
things for which tablets are best.

   jik